How many of you currently have or used to own a shower stall that looked more like a closet than a open area where you can wash in comfort and style. That claustrophobic design is now being replaced with a more universal concept that will work for everyone regardless of age, ability and changing needs. Sounds amazing, right? Well, what are you waiting for? Get started on adding a universal shower to your bathroom today.
According to HGTV, there are several features you want to include to make sure that the shower can work for everyone in your home for years to come to allow aging-in-place.
- Seating – Some people need or prefer to sit while they are showering. By adding a bench or a fold down seat, all your bases will be covered.
- Spray controls – Using an adjustable handheld shower spray will allow for flexibility since it has the ability to move to where the person is, whether they are sitting or standing. If you have children, it is best to install an additional overhead spray so that they don’t have to reach for the hose.
- Flooring – To create a non-slip floor, use a non-glossy ceramic tile. Using glass mosaics with grout will work great.
- Walls – Glass tiles all the way up the shower walls will keep the area clean, especially when the handheld sprayer tends to shoot water sometimes.
- Lighting – The best place to install overhead lighting in the shower is where the person bathing won’t block the light, which means that it may not be directly centered over the shower stall.
- Grab bars – This is especially important if there is a senior using your shower. Place them at the shower entry to prevent falls.
Categorised in: Frameless Glass Shower Enclosure