Glass shower doors are the perfect addition to any bathroom space. If you’re looking to enhance your bathroom and make it feel more elegant, shower doors will rejuvenate any area that feels lackluster or out-of-date. Whether you choose clear, frosted, tinted or textured doors, you’ll love the sense of beauty they bring to your bathroom. However, like any fixture in the home, shower doors require frequent maintenance. It’s true that shower curtains present many more issues in comparison, and shower doors are much easier to clean. With that being said, they still require some attention and upkeep. Here are some things you should and shouldn’t do to maintain your shower doors.
- Wipe them down after you take a shower. Shower doors of all kinds are very easy to clean, but they are still prone to mildew. Keep a small squeegee or towel nearby as a reminder to wash down the doors after each use. Make sure to let everyone else in your family know about this, too! It’s a very simple task that only takes a few seconds.
- Use baking soda to remove stains. You don’t need to run to the store and buy a ton of cleaning products to remove stains from your shower doors. More than likely, you have everything you need right at home. If you mix baking soda and water together, it will form a paste. Dip a cloth into the mixture and scrub the doors gently. Before long, they’ll be as good as new!
- Wash with vinegar. Over time, soap scum, stubborn water spots and mold can build up on your shower doors. Again, you don’t need to use any store-bought cleaners to get the job done. Plain, undiluted white vinegar will do the trick. After wiping them down, apply the vinegar with a soft microfiber cloth to kill germs and remove unwanted mildew.
- Clean the metal tracks and surrounding areas. Door handles, tracks and the inside of your shower should also be cleaned regularly. These can be easy to forget, but if mold starts to build up it will affect the entire bathroom space.
- Keep doors closed all the time. Keeping your shower doors closed at all hours of the day locks in moist air and can lead to mold. After you shower, the interior space is at its wettest point. Try to keep the doors open for a half hour or so until the steam clears. If you have a fan in your bathroom, make sure to turn it on and let the air circulate. You should also keep any doors leading to the hallway or bedroom open.
- Open and close doors forcefully. Glass is beautiful, but it is definitely fragile! Repeated slamming motions can damage the glass, or worse, shatter it completely. The seal could also be affected. Let everyone in your household know that shower doors should be handled gently. Children should not attempt to hang onto the door, as this can also be a safety hazard. Ultimately, shower doors are an investment and should be treated with the utmost care.
- Wash with harsh chemicals. Acid-based cleaning liquids can harm the glass or surrounding metal over time. You may not notice any issues at first, but these will not be good for your shower doors in the long haul. You want to get the most out of your doors, and harsh chemicals will only decrease their lifespan.
- Avoid cleaning at all. Some people seem to believe that shower doors clean themselves, but this couldn’t be farther from the truth! If you don’t want to clean your doors after each use, at least try to give them a wash every few days.
Keeping a maintenance plan or cleaning schedule at the ready will help you to maintain your shower doors. Make a list of tasks so the essentials aren’t forgotten. With care and monitoring, your shower doors will sparkle!
Are you interested in remodeling your bathroom? Check out our photo gallery today and start planning your design! We are a leading provider of shower doors in the Washington, D.C. area, and our experts are committed to providing stellar service.
We Can Install Your Shower Doors With Care
River Glass Designs is an award-winning, locally-owned shower door company serving Washington, DC. We offer a wide variety of custom shower products and services for both residential and commercial customers throughout the Washington, D.C. area, including frameless showers, semi-framed and framed showers. If you are looking for frameless shower doors for your bathroom, call us today at 301-977-3020.
Categorised in: Uncategorized